Your cart is currently empty
Soon will come the Maryland blue crab season and a time of year when I like to prepare this extraordinary and very delicious dish.
- 4 fresh blue crabs (from Maryland if possible)
- 1 bouquet garni (fresh bay leaf, thyme, sage, tied with waxless kitchen string)
- 1 spice crab boil bag (Zatarain's Crawfish, Shrimp & Crab Boil)
- 1 cup white wine (preferably dry Riesling)
- 2 oz of ox-eye daisy capers (or organic capers) coarsely diced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 fresh shallots (finely chopped)
- 6 skinless tomatoes (canned, organic) crushed.
- fine salt
- coarse sea salt
- juice of 1 lemon
- cracked pink & white pepper
- flat leaf Italian parsley
- 1 oz butter
- 2 oz olive oil (virgin and organic)
In a large saucepan, boil enough water to completely submerge your crabs.
When the water boils, add the bouquet garni, the spice bag, and a pinch of coarse salt.
Adjust heat to low and let the water simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the bag and let the water simmer over medium heat.
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add butter and a teaspoon of olive oil.
When the butter is slightly melted, add in the shallots, and stir gently with a wooden spoon and until they are blonde. Add your white wine, stir, and let reduce (while stirring) until evaporated to 3/4 of the liquid.
Add tomatoes, capers, lemon juice, salt, & pepper. Stir well and let boil for 2 minutes and add the vegetable broth. Let reduce by half at medium heat.
During this time, completely submerge crabs into simmering water preparation, and leave the crabs for 5 minutes.
Gently remove the crabs from the water (Chinese Strainer or kitchen tongs)
Place on a paper towel, then cut them in half lengthwise.
On a hot plate, pour the sauce with a ladle and place your crab on top. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Recommended side dishes:
Basmati rice and green asparagus
- Clos Saron Carte Blanche 2019, Oregon House, North Yuba, Siera Foothills, CA (coming soon)
- North Yuba Cecelia 2020, Oregon House, North Yuba, Siera Foothills, CA (coming soon
- Kivelstadt Cellars, Twice Removed Rosé 2020, Mendocino, Napa, CA
- Bonny Doon Vineyard, Vin Gris de Cigare "Reserve" 2016, Santa Cruz, Central Coast , CA